Saturday, January 28, 2012

Tuck's Visiting Executive Program


Kat O., me and Mickey Drexler, CEO of J. Crew

In my opinion, one of the best things about Tuck is it's Visiting Executive Program. The Visiting Executive Program brings senior executives to the school to share their expertise with the classroom and meet with students and faculty. From a classroom perspective, this program allows professors to invite senior executives that worked on the case at hand to the classroom to facilitate discussion. You'd be amazed at how much color and clarity their hands on experience brings to discussion!

From a student perspective, the Visiting Executive Program arranges opportunities for office hours, breakfast, lunch, dinner or roundtable discussions with the visiting executive. In order to create a more intimate setting where students can get a lot of one-on-one time with the executive, each meeting is generally limited to less than 10 students. Over the course of my time at Tuck, we've had executives such as Jeff Bezos (CEO of Amazon), John Mackey (CEO of Whole Foods), Robert Eckert (Chairman & CEO of Mattel), Michael Ward (Managing Director at Bain Capital Inc), Brian Myerholtz (Principal at Boston Consulting Group) and a number of other top executives from nearly every industry.* Of course, as a former retail industry exec, my all time favorite visiting executive this fall was Mickey Drexler (CEO of J.Crew). Mickey is a true legend in retail, so my roundtable meeting with him was one of my all time favorite moments at Tuck!

I'm so happy that Tuck offers these opportunities because whether students want to leverage them for networking or just to learn more about an executive's experience, they are truly amazing opportunities to get access to senior business leaders. In some ways I feel that I've learned more from my conversations with these senior execs than I ever could just by reading a book or a case.

To learn more about the program: Tuck's Visiting Executive Program

*(Disclaimer: As a student focused on general management roles, I've chosen to primarily highlight general management visiting execs. We've had a TON of high ranking banking, finance and consulting execs come as well, but I can't speak to them as much as I haven't followed their sign up lists as closely.)

No comments:

Post a Comment